- 9-19 April 2017
10 lessons in 11 days, 36 teaching hours +18 hours of activities
- Class size: 2-8 students, at a similar level
- Tuition and accommodation
(-15%, -10% or -5% deduction in tuition for early bird registrations)
- Location: This course is taking place ONLY on-campus, in Arethousa
- Accommodation: We suggest on-campus accommodation. Students may stay in a local hotel or room-for-rent, but they must then rent a moped or car for transport
- Local transport: A shuttle service to Evdilos is available for students every other day after class hours.
Easter and Greek language lessons in Ikaria
Ikaria is a small island located in the eastern Aegean where rural traditions are still very much alive. Easter, a springtime celebration, is celebrated by local communities with great festive spirit. Preparation for Easter Sunday starts in the houses of the community, where various sweets are made and boiled eggs are painted red.
During Holy Week, the atmosphere is somewhat solemn, as most local people fast and attend the various religious services held in churches all over the island. Generally, there is a great emotional build-up during Easter Saturday, when celebrations start in the evening. After the religious ceremony and a local fireworks display, people return to their homes where families and friends eat and drink together. On both Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday in the village of Karavostamo one can witness the “burning of Afano”, a custom that dates back to Byzantine times.
Students will learn about Easter traditions while participating in them. Activities that are usually arranged within the framework of the courses and which are mentioned in the Centre’s main programme, like walking in the mountain and Greek cooking lessons, will also be organized. As always within the course framework, students will have the opportunity to meet with and talk to local residents.
Send the registration form until February 10th 2017