Are you planning to study Greek in Greece? Here, at the Ikarian Center we have organized Greek language courses on the island of Ikaria non-stop for the last 25 years! The courses take place from Easter to November every year. In our courses you’ll find:
- Small class size: Our classes are even smaller, from 1 to maximum 4 students per class. Therefore, our classes are also very homogeneous. Homogenous and very small classes make the lessons more intensive and efficient.
- Flexible duration: Students may register in an 11 day course, in several 11 day courses in a row, in a 17 day course, or in a long term course (30+ days). In each course we give lessons for 120 min/day. This is equal to 2 hours or 2,66 teaching hours per day. (Language schools in Europe calculate the duration of their courses in teaching hours. One teaching hour is equal to 45 minutes.)
- Efficiency: Small and homogeneous classes are helping us to adjust the curriculum according to the students’ needs, and not the opposite. Students have more time to talk and practice in the class. Also, 2 hours tuition per day gives to the students enough time to do their homework and rest. Thus, students attending 2 normal hours / day in our classes have a faster progress than students attending a pre-fixed curriculum, for “4 hours of 45 min” per day, in a class with 5 or 6 more students of different levels.
Young learners (35 and less years old): As we realize that young people all over the world has more and more limited ability to spend money for a “luxury” like a Greek language course, we would like to give them the chance to participate in our lessons by paying a lower fee.
Early bird : If you are older than 35 and you book early, you can get 5% discount.
Course types and duration
You can choose between several course types, according to the time you have available, your personal interests or the season of the year you would like to participate. Regarding the course duration, you can choose between one of the following options:
11 day Greek language course
– 1-4 students per class, in homogeneous classes
– 26,6 teaching hours in 11 days (128 min / day x 10 days of lessons)
– Sundays are days off, on -Saturdays we give lessons
– Students can register in more than one courses in a row
17 day Greek language course
– 1-4 students per class in homogeneous classes
– 40 teaching hours in 17 days (128 min / day Χ 15days of lessons)
– Sundays are days off, on Saturdays we give lessons
– Students can register in more than one in a row
Long term courses (one or two months)
– Spend one or two months at Ikarian centre, explore Ikaria, enjoy the peaceful and relaxing atmosphere of the Centre and improve dramatically your skills in Greek language.
– Each long term course lasts for one month. You can register for two courses in a row, if it’s possible according to the schedule.
– Two hours (128 min) daily, 30 days of lessons at Ikarian Centre’s campus.
– Homogeneous classes of 1-4 students. There is a possibility to attend a private lesson (one teacher and you).
– The daily schedule includes “out of classroom” activities only if there are 11 or 17 days courses in the schedule, running at the same time. After the lessons, you will have the opportunity to practice your Greek and socialize with Ikarian locals.
Out-of-classroom activities (traditional dance lessons, Greek songs, conversation classes, lectures and slide shows, cooking local dishes with people of the village, etc.) and events that happen spontaneously (like going out and eating together) are what make our lessons a truly immersive Greek language program.
Levels & classes
The curriculum follows the guidelines set by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. However, the students of each course will be divided into different classes, according their levels, their accrual needs and the speed at which they can move forward in the lesson. The classes are formed after the students arrive for the course. Maximum number of participants per class: 4 students. If a student cannot fit in a class attends a private lesson (one teacher – one student).
Our instructors are experienced teachers of Greek as a foreign language. Grammar and vocabulary are taught through the use of games, texts and other materials written and provided by the Centre. All skills are practiced in our lessons (writing, reading, speaking and listening), however we do focus in oral speech. The small class size (1-4 students / class) ensures that every student will have enough time to speak in the class. Our program focuses on learning the language and NOT on the tourist experience. In every lesson students will be assigned homework for the next day. As most of the locals do not speak only Greek, and since the teachers continue speaking Greek outside of the classroom, students must be prepared to hear and speak a lot of Greek, even if they are beginners. Follow this link for more information about the teaching method.
Location & accommodation
All courses are given at Ikarian Centre’s headquarters, on a wooded area 1,5 Km outside the mountainous settlement of Arethousa and 3Km away the coastal village of Karavostamo. The access to the Center is still via a dirt road.
As always, students are welcome to stay in a private room on-campus, alone or with a person who travels with them but do not participate in the lessons. On-campus accommodation is offered for free during certain periods of time. For more information regarding accommodation at Ikarian Centre campus in Ikaria, please follow the previous link. However, students are also welcome to stay anytime off-campus, by the sea side, and enjoy the luxury of a hotel with a swimming pool or a airbnb apartment. We take care of students’ transport from the port of Evdilos or any spot of the route Evdilos-Ikarian Centre, for free. The distance to Evdilos is around 8 Km, 20 min by car. Students with on-campus accommodation can also use the Cenre’s shuttle service to Evdilos and the nearby beaches, for free.
Off-campus accommodation: We suggest hotels Atheras & Kerame. Both hotels belong to the same company. Atheras is located in the heart of Evdilos, very convenient if you want to be 5 min away from the cafeterias, tavernas and shops of the village. Kerame is an apartment hotel (there are cooking facilities in every room or apartment of the hotel) but it is a bit more isolated. There is a restaurant in the hotel, however, there is nothing around, apart the beach, a small grocery store and houses. You must walk 15-20 min (1,5 Km) until the center of Evdilos, if you want to find a bar, a taverna or a kafenio. In addition in the area there are several airbnb apartments and some small pensions. You can find a selection if you follow the link. It might also be possible to stay with a family. If you are interested, please contact us