New regulations, valid from May 15th 2021, for those who are planning to visit Ikaria or any other Greek island from mainland Greece.
Εntering Greece from abroad
- See the list of the countries from where you can travel to Greece
- A negative PCR test 72 hours prior your arrival, OR negative antigen (rapid) test 48 hours prior departure, OR vaccination 14 days prior your departure OR certification from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel, is necessary, even if you have a Greek citizenship. The PCR test or the certifications must be issued in Greek, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian language and MUST include the name of the person as it is written on the official travel document (id card or passport)
- In addition you must submit the PLF form you find here: https://travel.gov.gr You must submit the form at least 24 hours prior your departure.
Visiting Ikaria (or any other Greek island) from mainland Greece
it’s necessary to present one of the following:
- A negative PCR test 72 hours prior your departure from the mainland’s airport or port, OR vaccination 14 days prior your departure, OR documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel, OR negative rapid covid test 24 hours prior your departure, OR negative self-test 24 hours prior your departure. Self tests are only for Greek residents, with a Greek tax & health security number. For more information about the self test follow the link: https://self-testing.gov.gr/ This applies to all travelers from mainland Greece to an island: Greek residents, Greek citizens and visitors. This rule is not applied if you travel from one island to another. It’s only valid in the ports and airports of the mainland country.
As a result, if you haven’t get the vaccine and you would like to travel to Ikaria from abroad, we strongly suggest you to have a PCR test 72 hours prior your departure to Ikaria from Pireas or the airport of Athens or Thessaloniki OR travel to Ikaria via a Greek island like Crete, Samos, or Mykonos. From Iraklio (Crete) you can take a flight to Ikaria (www.skyexpress.gr) from Mykonos or Samos, you can take the ferry (~ 1 to 2 hours trip to Ikaria) www.hsw.gr
- More info regarding how to get to Ikaria
- You can also find accurate information regarding covid-19 and your trip to Greece, at the web site of the American Embassy in Athens