Start or improve your skills in Greek language in an intensive Greek language course with activities during Easter holiday, on the island of Ikaria. At the same time discover the traditions of the Greek Easter and enjoy the explosion of colors and smells of the Ikarian spring.
- 2021:Tue. March 30th – Sat. April 10th. / 2021 (Catholic Easter Sun. Apr. 4th 2021).
This course is combined well with the Catholic Easter holidays.
- 2022: Mon. Apr.11 – Fri 22 /2022 (Catholic Easter Sun Apr 17th)
Usually the dates of the lessons are defined by the Catholic and not the Greek (Orthodox) Easter. However, many times Catholic and Orthodox Easter is only one week away, so students do have the opportunity to participate in the customs of the Greek Easter. Students participating in the Easter course in 2022 are welcome to stay until Greek Easter Sunday. Those who can stay until the Orthodox Easter Sunday and celebrate the Greek Easter with their teachers, are welcome to do so. The Orthodox Easter of 2022 is on Sunday, April 24th.
In our Greek language lessons you will find:
- 1-4 students per class
- Homogeneous classes
- 26,6 teaching hours in two week (120 min / day Χ 10 days of lessons)
- Weekends are days off for the course in 2022, Saturday is working day for the course in 2021
- Course activities also include visits to local families, where students can and participate in the daily activities of the family (gardening, cooking, feeding the animals etc). Students will also learn about Greek Easter traditions, while participating in them.
- For more information about the lessons, the daily schedule, accommodation options, reviews etc, visit the page of Greek language courses in Ikaria
Ikaria in Easter
Ikaria is a small island located in the eastern Aegean where rural traditions are still very much alive. Easter, a springtime celebration, is celebrated by local communities with great festive spirit. Preparation for Easter Sunday starts in the houses of the community, where various sweets are made and boiled eggs are painted red.
During Holy Week, the atmosphere is solemn, as most local people fast and attend the various religious services held in churches all over the island. Generally, there is a great emotional build-up during Easter Saturday, when celebrations start in the evening. After the religious ceremony and a local fireworks display, people return to their homes where families and friends eat and drink together. On both Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday in the village of Karavostamo one can witness the “burning of Afano”, a custom that dates back to Byzantine times.
The weather in April is still unstable although days around Easter are traditionally sunny and warm. Some visits to Evdilos, the nearby Karavostamo and Arethousa for shopping, a tsipouro or dinner are organized according to the mood of the group. After the lessons students who wish can have lunch together with the teachers.