Starting, improving or perfecting the Greek language:
Winter intensive Greek language courses for those who want to start / improve / perfect their skills in the modern Greek language.
- Duration: 9 days (Saturday to next Sunday) 4 hours /day, including weekends.
- Location: Ikarian Centre’s headquarters, Arethousa, on the Island of Ikaria. More info about the location at www.ikariancentre.com/guesthouse
- Number of participants: 3 to 10 people, in one to three classes / levels.
- Levels: Absolute beginners to advanced students. A grading test and / or a short interview after your registration, via phone or on skype, although not required, can help us understand your needs and prepare the course syllabus in the most efficient way.
- How to get to Ikaria: by plane from Athens (on-line timetable and booking: www.olympicair.com) or Thessaloniki (www.astra-airlines.gr/). Free pick up from the airport on Friday or Saturday morning. The plane arrives in the morning, the first lesson starts Saturday afternoon. In this way students can arrive on Saturday, the first day of the course. You can also take the ferry to Evdilos or Agios Kirikos (www.hsw.gr)
With an average 3-5 students per class, winter classes are even smaller than summer. Small classes guarantee that during the lessons students will have enough time to practice speaking. They also guarantee that teachers can focus on the needs of each individual student. Moreover, students stay at the Centre’s guest house, as do the teachers, so that there is considerable contact outside class hours. This gives students the opportunity to practice the language more intensively and quickly improve their skills (listening and speaking, but also writing and reading).
The teachers are native Greek speakers and have substantial experience in teaching Greek as a second language. During the teaching hours a variety of language games and activities motivate students to practice what they are taught. Moreover, students are given homework: they prepare small lectures, listen to Greek pod-casts to improve their listening skills, and undertake projects that bring them into contact with local people for further practice in the language.
Each student has a private room at the Centre’s guest house, adjacent to the course venue. Each room is equipped with two beds and offers a kitchenette and private bathroom. Facilities and services include linen, heating, free wifi, free access to washing machine, and access to a large common kitchen. Breakfast is not served, however students may use the kitchenette in their rooms to prepare breakfast and simple meals. A second person who accompanies a student without participating in the course may share the room with him or her, without additional cost.
Schedule, tuition and accommodation fee
Fill in your mail address and receive the info in your inbox
There are morning (9:00 – 11:00) and evening classes (18:00 – 20:00). In the intervening hours students are free to study, rest, and explore the island. After 20:00 there are several activities, like singing lessons, conversation classes, lectures and film screenings. The first day’s lesson (Saturday) takes place in the afternoon, and the last day’s lesson (Sunday) takes place in the morning (9:00 – 13:00)
There is a shuttle service available to students without extra cost.
Registration & cancellation policy
In order to register in a course, send us the registration form found below.
NO deposit is required. However, you must buy your tickets to Ikaria and send proof of purchase to us on or before the 20th of the month prior to the course. Without this proof that you are definitely coming, we reserve the right to cancel your participation in a course without further notice.
Tuition must be paid on the island the first day of the course. However there is a -10% discount if you pay the tuition before the 10th of the month prior to the course. Tuition is not refundable after this date, but students retain the right to re-register in a course within the same or the following year.