The Greek literature course for Greek language students we will work with literary texts in Greek, in simplified form. The course is aimed at students of modern Greek who want to have a first acquaintance with Greek literature and are able to communicate in Greek
The lessons revolve around a form of Greek literature and its work. In the program of October 2023 we will learn about Georgios Vizyinos. The participants must be adults, users of modern Greek as a second language, who have the ability to understand a literary text in Greek and can express their opinion on it, even if they need the help of a dictionary. The course is given at the facilities of the Ikarian Center in Arethousa, island of Ikaria, where accommodation is also offered to the students. This course is also combined with activities (excursions to the island’s attractions, cooking evenings, traditional dance classes, etc).
What will this literature class be like?
– We will talk about some things of his life, and then we will see how they are connected to his work.
– We will deal with his three best-known short stories: “Who Was My Brother’s Murderer”, “The Only Journey of His Life”, and “The Sin of My Mother”. You will receive the texts at least two months before the course, so if you want and have the time to read them before the course. All three texts are released in a simplified form, suitable for students learning Greek as a foreign language.
– For each short story separately: We will present it by telling the story in as simple words as possible. We will read excerpts from the short story (or the whole story if we have time). We will discuss the unknown words. We will deal more with the most characteristic passages, those that describe in a masterful way the human soul, those that prepare us for what will happen, or those that are related to the life of Vizyenus himself.
– In each lesson there will be questions and discussion.
Sunday 22 October (check-in) – Sunday 29 Oct. (check-out). The lessons take place from Monday to Saturday.
You can download a sample of the books in pdf if you follow the links below
€924 Includes accommodation in a private room.
- -10% per person if you share your room with a fellow traveler participating in the course
- Cost breakdown: Accommodation cost: €280, Participation cost: €644
The cost includes:
1. Accommodation in a private room, breakfasts and simple meals after the lesson. If you are traveling with a fellow traveler who is not participating in the course and activities, you can share the room with them at no extra cost. If you are traveling and sharing a room with another student, you get a 10% discount on accommodation costs
2. Pickup from ports and airport on the day of the start – end of each program
3. Local transfers after the lessons to nearby beaches and settlements, depending on the season
4. Excursions to the island
5. The course materials
6. Activities (discussion classes, songs, lectures and screenings, dance lessons and cooking evenings, etc.)
Submit your registration and pay the course deposit until August 6th 2023. If by August 6th the minimum number of participants will not be reached, the course will be canceled and you will be refunded. Informaton regarding the payment of the deposit will be sent to you after the submit of your reservation.